Food Scientist - Technical Service
Tate & Lyle
A Food Scientist in Technical Service will provide technical support to new or existing customers to promote sales growth of Tate & Lyle ingredients. This position requires a technical professional with at least 5-10 years of experience in the food industry with knowledge of food systems and ingredient functionality. Specifically, bakery experience with sweet goods, cakes, breads, icings and fillings, tortilla or pizza etc. is a must. The candidate must have strong communication and interpersonal skills and be comfortable working in a fast-paced, customer-centric environment across a broad range of applications. Contribution is measured through quality growth in the technical project pipeline and conversion of technical opportunities to sales. Responsible for technical customer interactions providing presentations, consultations, pilot trials, and ongoing project support.
- Penetrate and build relationship with key technical decision makers leading to new opportunities and projects. Present new product ideas and technologies to existing and potential customers
- Use ingredient knowledge within categories or applications to support customer projects. Perform hands-on lab work to diagnose and solve customer issues as well as develop new prototypes and applications that highlight or elucidate ingredient performance
- Lead customer technical projects and provide/resource technical expertise to address customers' technical issues. Develop technical account execution plans with Sales to pursue and close these opportunities
- Develop and foster relationships with contacts in industry to build recognition for Tate & Lyle ingredients/technologies
- Capture new technical leads/opportunities to build a strong project pipeline in CRM system (SalesForce.com). Independently review projects, growth, and ability to move projects through development stages.
- Work cross functionally within Tate & Lyle (e.g. Research, Applications, Analytical, Product Management, etc.) to ensure customer performance goals are met
- Work collaboratively with Sales Account Managers to bring internal campaigns and product launches for customer relevant opportunities that deliver annual operating plans aligned with Tate & Lyle SFI NOAM
- Contribute market intelligence/trends within category or application
- Ability to travel ~20 to 40% (combination road and air, less right now due to COVID)
- Master's degree or Bachelor's Degree with extensive bakery experience is required. Majors considered include Grain/Baking Science or Food Science (preferred), Chemistry or Chemical Engineering with food emphasis may be applicable
- 5-10 years of experience in the food industry. Food formulation experience and ingredient functionality required with specific experience in bakery applications.
- Sound knowledge of grain and food science, food chemistry, food microbiology and food processing
- Thrive and be comfortable working in a dynamic, changing and evolving environment.
- Ability to navigate a matrixed environment and build strong relationships with internal peers, sales and marketing and customers
- Good problem-solving skills and quick decision-making capability.
- Interest in developing market knowledge by category or application to communicate customer needs to internal departments
- Outstanding communication, presentation and interpersonal skills
- An exhibited dedication to safety and commitment to making safety a number one priority
*The Job title, role and responsibilities are subject to change based on qualifications / experience of the candidate and the business needs of the company.